
Dan's story...Some people would call me obsessive, but it isn't true. I think everyone has there own quirks of habit, and in any case, there isn't much of a jump from being a creature of habit to one of comfort.
Think about what you do when you first get home. Whether it's auto-reflex of leaving your keys in the bowl by the door or the way you can disable the alarm while kicking off your work shoes. You have a routine, almost a ritual, that is pre-cognisant and simply says, 'welcome home'.
And I'm the same. Except I'm not. Because everyone's home is different, and so by extension everyone's routine is equally unique. For me it's a sense of creating my own personal audio-visual environment, without which I just wouldn't feel at home at all.
Put another way, what I seek is to create a sort of digital footprint that makes my home my own, with its own individual technological scent. So as soon as I get in, the angled spotlights come on, not too bright or glaring. Next it's music, an internet radio stream for downstairs, music for my bedroom and the coffee maker gurgling in the kitchen.
And so it continues. For some, a roaring fire in the hearth is what makes a sitting room enticing, but prosaic as it might sound, I find as much solace is to be found from the familiar rumblings of the tumble dryer, or background hum of the plasma, its volume set low on the News 24 channel.
Implication for Comet: Our mums may have spent the 80s struggling to programme the VHS, but three decades on and Comet allows people to infuse their technological scent and establish their own ritualistic digital footprint in their home
No comments:
Post a Comment